EAST BRIDGEWATER — Town Administrator Brian S. Noble and Board of Health Chairman Peter P. Spagone, Jr. report that the Town of East Bridgewater has received notification from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) of four additional positive cases of COVID-19, the illness associated with the novel coronavirus.
There are currently five confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 in East Bridgewater.
The Town has been notified by the DPH that four additional East Bridgewater residents have tested positive for COVID-19. The individuals are currently in isolation per DPH orders. Town officials announced East Bridgewater’s first positive case on Tuesday, March 24.
Individuals who are considered to be close contacts (defined as someone who has spent more than 15 minutes within six feet of a positive case) have been identified, contacted by health officials, and are adhering to DPH guidelines for the need to self-quarantine.
Those who are quarantined will be monitored by East Bridgewater health officials on a daily basis to limit the risk of spread.
In order to protect the residents’ medical privacy rights, no additional information will be disclosed.
Due to the evolving spread of COVID-19 in Massachusetts, Gov. Baker directed the DPH earlier this week to issue a stay-at-home advisory. This means all residents are advised to stay home during this time in order to curb the spread of this virus. Residents may continue to conduct essential activities such as grocery shopping or picking up medication. Gov. Baker has also temporarily banned gatherings of more than 10 people.
All residents are encouraged to continue to practice aggressive social distancing — maintaining a distance of approximately 6 feet from other people — and appropriate personal hygiene.
Social distancing will help to minimize exposure among people, especially given that COVID-19 is highly contagious and people may be contagious prior to exhibiting symptoms.
Local, state and federal health officials are encouraging residents to take the following precautions to prevent infectious diseases, such as the flu and COVID-19, from spreading:
- For a minimum of 20 seconds, wash your hands frequently with soap and hot water
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with those who are sick
- Use a tissue to cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing, then throw the tissue away and wash your hands.
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces
- When you have a fever or are ill, stay home from work or school
COVID-19 Information Resources
The Town encourages everyone to stay informed regarding COVID-19. The following websites are recommended for the most updated information:
- Town of East Bridgewater Official Website: eastbridgewaterma.gov/
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health: www.mass.gov/covid-19
- Massachusetts 2-1-1 general COVID-19 information: Click here or dial 2-1-1 (24/7)
- Sign up for the Massachusetts COVID-19 Text Message Notification System to receive important updates: text “COVIDMA” to 888-777
- United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: www.cdc.gov
Additional updates will be provided as information becomes available.